Management of Common Eye Diseases in the Elderly
Jennifer Blevins | Elisha Bischoff
Our Educational Symposium is designed for Administrators, Director of Nursing, and nursing staff that provide care to elderly and developmentally disabled persons. Our desire is to provide networking among leaders in the Post-Acute Care, Long Term Care, and Assisted Living industry while providing education on hot button issues. We hope that participants leave with the knowledge and tools to prepare them for the future.
This session will provide education on tools to improve the quality of care. The following topic will be presented: appropriate management of common eye diseases in the geriatric population.
Learning objectives include
- Review common eye diseases found in the elderly.
- Review disease states that can affect vision.
- Discuss the impact of aging on vision.
- Explore the impact of vision loss on quality of life, activities of daily living, and behaviors.
- Discuss medication management of common eye conditions.
* This program is approved for Continuing Education for a total of 1 participant hour by NAB/NCERS. * Approval Code 20230725-1-A85404-DL
* This educational offering has been reviewed by Synchrony Pharmacy and is approved for 1.2 contact hours. Synchrony Pharmacy is an approved Kentucky Board of Nursing provider until December 31, 2023. KBN# 7-0019-1221-013.
Jennifer received her Doctorate of Pharmacy from Ohio Northern University in 2007 and her Board Certification in Geriatrics in 2014. Her practice has included retail pharmacy, PBM and Long Term Care. While in retail pharmacy, she was an APhA Certified Immunization Trainer where she taught immunization training courses for pharmacists. She is also certified in Medication Therapy Management and worked as a MTM pharmacist with a large PBM. The past 10 years have been spent in Long Term Care where she works closely with consultant pharmacists and consultant nurses.
I attended the University of Kentucky, College of Pharmacy where I received my Doctorate of Pharmacy. Following graduation, I completed a Pharmacy Practice Residency at the University of Louisville Health Sciences Center, and later practiced as a clinical pharmacist at Norton Audubon Hospital. I am currently the Lead Consultant for Synchrony Pharmacy in Louisville, KY and have been working as a consultant pharmacist for the last 16 years. I am a Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist, have certifications in Immunizations, Medication Therapy Management, and pharmacogenomics. I have served as the Chair for the Kentucky Academy of Consultant Pharmacists, the Membership Committee Chair of KYASCP, and treasurer of KYASCP.