Rx for Success: Partnering with Rehab to Increase Patient Safety & Independence with Medication Management
Kathleen Shepler | Rachelle King
Our Educational Symposium is designed for Administrators, Director of Nursing, and nursing staff that provide care to elderly and developmentally disabled persons. Our desire is to provide networking among leaders in the Post-Acute Care, Long Term Care, and Assisted Living industry while providing education on hot button issues. We hope that participants leave with the knowledge and tools to prepare them for the future.
This session will provide education on tools to improve the quality of care. The following topics will be presented: assessing patient independence with medication therapy to improve patient safety.
Learning objectives include
- Gain a better understanding of medication adherence and barriers to successful medication management.
- Discuss the role of rehab for promotion of medication management and patient self administration
- Review the importance of utilizing a team approach with medication management and who the key players are for successful outcome
- Gain a better understanding of when a referral to rehab may be beneficial
* This program is approved for Continuing Education for a total of 1 participant hour by NAB/NCERS. Approval Code 20230524-1-A83516-DL
* This educational offering has been reviewed by Synchrony Pharmacy and is approved for 1.2 contact hours. Synchrony Pharmacy is an approved Kentucky Board of Nursing provider until December 31, 2023. KBN# 7-0091-1223-012.
Kathleen Shepler, MS, CCC-SLP
Clinical Support Specialist
Kathleen Shepler is a speech-language pathologist (SLP) who earned degrees from Butler University and Purdue University. Kathleen has experience in the Indiana public school system and the home health setting, with a primary focus for the past 19 years in skilled nursing and long-term care. She feels it is a great privilege to serve the geriatric population. Kathleen has several years of various management experience in the rehab setting. She started with Synchrony in 2012 as a staff SLP and transitioned to the clinical support team in September 2016. As a clinical support specialist, Kathleen strives to support fellow therapists by providing education in Medicare compliance, quality clinical documentation, and program development. She has presented on topics including alternative payment models in skilled nursing, PDPM, advocating for therapy services, the role of rehab in reducing rehospitalization in the SNF environment, and the role of the SLP in fall prevention. Kathleen understands the importance of collaboration across disciplines for safe and effective medication management and is delighted to be part of this presentation.
Rachelle King, MOT, OTR/L
Clinical Support Specialist
Rachelle King is an Occupational Therapist who received her bachelor’s degree and Master of Occupational Therapy degree from Xavier University. Rachelle has 6 years of experience working with adults and geriatrics in Skilled Nursing, Outpatient, and Home Health, in the Cincinnati area. Rachelle started with Synchrony Rehab in 2018 as a staff Occupational Therapist and transitioned to Program Director in 2019. Rachelle has a passion for assisting adults and geriatrics regain their independence and continue to live meaningful lives. In December 2021, Rachelle joined Synchrony’s Clinical Team, where she continues to support therapy teams through compliance education, program development, and clinical documentation education.